You know what made my day? Fitting into my pre-pregnancy Anne Klein dress. Ahh the simple pleasures of life!
It’s chilly here in NYC so I topped off the dress with a leopard cardigan and bow belt. Here, I wore it with my Bruno Magli leather boots (which I got for free from my contact at the showroom years ago), and my Miu Miu tote from Barney’s end of year sale. You’ve gotta love fab freebies and frugality, right?
For any of you ladies who are reading this and have never gone through pregnancy, here is some birth control for you. Ever hear how beautiful pregnancy is? (Don’t listen to those fake celebrities). Here is the truth. It sorta sucks! Your body feels possessed as this baby takes over and transforms your life – your eating and sleeping patterns and general ability to feel like yourself. Nobody is really honest and upfront about all the negative symptoms you can be tortured with for the 40 week period that is your metamorphosis. So ladies, here is the real deal and my running list of pregnancy symptoms that I’ve learned could inflict a poor pregnant woman (listed from feet up):
- swollen feet (my friends have had to buy new shoes one size up from their usual)
- leg cramps (this usually happens while in bed)
- restless leg syndrome (I never believed this really existed until I experienced it myself)
- vericose veins
- loose joints and increased clumsiness
- nausea / vomitting
- extreme hunger pangs and crazy cravings
- always having to go pee or urinary incontinence if you’re really unlucky
- pelvic discomfort and constant pressure
- a stretched out and literally ripped up vajayjay (sometimes they’ll even cut you a new asshole if you don’t rip naturally during labor!)
- stretch marks
- tender boobs
- leaking boobs
- back pain
- shortness of breath
- carpal tunnel syndrome
- swollen hands that hurt
- faintness, dizziness
- a widened nose
- stuffed up nose
- heightened sensitivity to smells (most of which feel highly unpleasant)
- sore and bleeding gums
- metallic taste in your mouth
- excessive saliva
- skin discolorations
- constantly feeling dehydrated
- discomfort sleeping. having to get up every 4-5hours in the middle of sleep for the bathroom, a drink of water and to blow your nose.
At 33 weeks, I’ve experienced my fair share of the above along with 20 additional lbs. So it’s no wonder that I take delight in the simple pleasures in life like fitting into an old dress. It’s just one thing that makes you feel back to normal – well sort of.
By the time I started showing, I had to wear coats. And so for months, I rarely succeeded at scoring a subway seat. Finally though at 31 weeks, I think I’ve learned the trick. Open coat, stick out belly, stand in front of seated men and look exasperated as possible while holding belly. Usually works!
Here are 3 outfit posts of what I wore to work, all worn with my Ann Taylor leopard coat.
Tahari dress, Express cardigan, Bruno Magli boots, Fur stole from Saks Fifth Avenue, Guess purse
Cynthia Steffe dress bought at TJMaxx, Bruno Magli boots, necklace from Thailand
Calvin Klein dress, necklace bought at TJMaxx, Cynthia Rowley cashmere cardigan
I’m 30 weeks pregnant here and wearing my Vince non-maternity, stretchy LBD with some fun polka-dot tights and a necklace from Saks.
I couldn’t resist posing with my daughter’s, very first pair of shoes. If she’s anything like her mom, she will love these and the fact that she is starting her own shoe collection so soon and from the womb.
Cut 25 blazer with leather elbow patches, maternity leggings from Target, Bruno Magli boots, velvety tank from TJMaxx, accessories from Thailand
Forever 21 top, maternity skirt from Target, Zara infinity scarf, Guy Laroche belt
W118 shirt, Charter Club cashmere cardigan, Prada purse, Target maternity leggings
I’m now officially in the 3rd trimester and can’t believe how fast it all went by! I’m frightened to think that I still have another 11 weeks of belly growth though. I already feel like there is no room to breathe or eat with the baby taking up all this room and my skin not stretching fast enough. help!
2012 was an exciting year for me:
- became an owner, no longer renting
- changed last name to mark the 1 year (paper) anniversary
- changed jobs
- traveled to Thailand, Cambodia, DC, MI, PA, DE, IL (twice), Japan, Vegas
- explored Governor’s island, Fire Island and Long Island
- attended 3 weddings. saw ours published.
- sponsored 25 fashion shows
- Managed over 100 events
- survived Hurricane Sandy
- Thanks to the pregnancy, learned to live with nausea, vomiting, hunger, heartburn, cravings, congestion, constipation, fatigue, headaches, sleep deprivation, dehydration, endless doctor appointments and an additional 18lbs
Figuring out what to wear to work while pregnant has been a daily challenge. What fits one week may no longer fit the next. Here is an outfit from around 26 weeks pregnant.
H&M cardigan, Donna Morgan dress from TJMaxx, Aldo purse and Via Spiga shoes
I hope you all had great years too and wish you the best for 2013!
Ok I’m a little behind in my outfit posts. Here is a shot of me wearing my size 10 Old Navy skinny jeans – yes I said size 10. (I’m usually a size 4).
This growing belly is outta control but I keep trying to remind myself it’s all for a good cause.
The chain cardigan is H&M and the scarf is Ralph Lauren. The red polka dots are so Christmas-y, aren’t they?
I hope you all enjoyed the holidays!
So I’m finally pregnant enough to really look pretty obvious about it. There is no hiding it now. I was eagerly anticipating this moment only for the advantage of getting to secure myself a subway seat. However now that I’m truly showing and not questionably fat in the belly, I now have to cover up and wear coats! Dang still no one offers me a seat on the subway! Give a pregnant woman a break, NY-ers!
Speaking of coats, I have 2 of these same exact military coats and am planning to sell one. Message me if you’re interested! It’s by Gryphon and was bought at Intermix (sz sm). I can email you with additional photos of it if you like.
The coat comes with a detachable black fur collar, not shown here.
Dress by BCX, fur stole from Saks, Aldo shoes, St. John tote